Lon and his 3 siblings were born and raised in Detroit. Lon’s father lost his sight while still young, so Lon began working for his dad, acting as ‘his eyes’ while building homes in the Detroit area. It was through this experience that Lon learned much from others and taught himself the building, repairing, and renovating trades. Years later, Lon decided to share his expertise and start his own business, Technihouse Inspections, Inc., in order to help people make informed decisions when purchasing a home.
His personal affiliations include serving as an Executive Board Member for Leader Dogs for the Blind. Lon is also involved with Habitat for Humanity.
Professionally, he holds memberships in ‘ASHI’ (American Society of Home Inspectors) and NAHI (National Association of Home Inspectors, which has recently merged with ASHI). He also maintains credentials with BOCA, Radon Mitigation, and the Mechanical Contractors Association. He is a licensed Asbestos Abatement contractor and HVAC contractor, as well as a licensed builder.
Lon is the president and owner of Technihouse Inspections, Inc., a residential and commercial inspection company in Bloomfield Hills, MI for over 40 years. He wrote a weekly question and answer column in the Detroit Free Press. He was a syndicated columnist for the Eccentric newspapers. Lon is a contributing writer for Inspire Magazine, Detroit Homes magazine and Consumers Digest as well as numerous other publications. Lon is the former co-host of the weekend “Ask the Handyman” show on WXYT-AM Talk Radio. His book, “Around the House” offers help for do-it-yourselfers in an easy to understand format.
- President, Technihouse Inspections, Inc. Over 40 years
- Community Emergency Response Team member (CERT) 2005-Present
- Member, Civil Defense Forces, Oakland County, Michigan
- Emergency Management Institute – certified through The Department of Homeland Security & FEMA
- Leader Dogs for the Blind Board Member for over 30 years
- Chairman of the Board, Leader Dogs for the Blind 2005-2006
- Chairman Emeritus of Leader Dogs for the Blind
- Emergency Management Institute Professional Development Study – certified through the Department of Homeland Security & FEMA
- Home Repair Columnist, Detroit Free Press since 1981
- Syndicated Columnist for the Eccentric Newspapers
- Contributing writer – Detroit Homes Magazine
- Contributing writer – Detroit Home Improvement Magazine
- Contributing writer to ASHI Technical Journals
- Contributing writer NAHI Forum
- Contributing Writer – The ASHI Reporter (A nationally published Home Inspector Magazine)
- Contributing writer for Inspire Magazine
- Author of “Around The House” book (in its second printing)
- ABC’s of Residential Real Estate Inspections published in the Institute of Continuing Education newsletter for the legal profession
- Assisted in writing the Inspection Chapter of the Michigan Residential Real Estate Transaction Manual
- Former Co-host of “Ask the Handyman” show on WXYT-AM
- Previous host of the “Home Tips” segment -WWJ News Radio 950
- Featured Home Repair and Inspection Expert on WJBK-TV, WXYZTV. WDIV-TV, WXYT-AM, WEXL-AM, WCAR-AM, and WJR-AM